Pages


Oct 10, 2013

The Best of Sarawak Dayak Dishes

One of the best things about Sarawak is the food. I know, I know. Some of you might feel that Penang food is best thing on the planet or you could only live on Kelantan ‘nasi kerabu’ but I’m a Sarawakian. So yes, I’m biased on that.

However, for today, I’m not going to talk about the simple but addictive ‘kolok mee’ or the infamous ‘Laksa Sarawak’. I’m going to talk about specialty dishes from the Land of the Hornbill; cooked, prepared and enjoyed by the Dayak – the aborigines of Borneo Island.

A friend of mine, a proud Dayak herself, had created a special website for this. Packed with HD quality photos that will ruin your effort to diet and simple but concise recipes to try out. Check it at Huntersfood.com. Clicking on the photos here will also bring you directly to the recipes page. 

I highly recommended this site, not just because she’s a friend of mine and a nice person, but the site is really worth looking if you want to have an idea on Dayak specialty dishes. Do drop some comments, say nice thing and encourage her to post some more yummylicious Sarawakian dishes.

Okay, let’s just start with a few favorite dishes of mine.

Fried Fermented Durian

Fried Fermented Durian
 Most Sarawakian would know this. Most Sarawakian would love this. But most westerner and some Asian would avoid durian like a plague due to the smell (which to me actually smells heavenly). Preparing fermented durian is quite easy. Then it would be fried with combination of chilli, onions, garlic or any other herbs you want to add to it.

I usually stir fry it with lots of ginger, chilli and chicken skin. Yes, you heard me right. Chicken skin. Or try it with a can of sardines. Eat it with rice or like my older brother, with white bread. Don’t ask me why.

The best about it is the Fried Fermented Durian or ‘Tempoyak Goreng’ is not easily spoiled and can last for a week. Keep it in a container and into your fridge. Make sure it is airtight or your fridge will have ‘heavenly’ smell each time you open it.

Stir Fried Midin With Shrimp Paste

Midin Belacan
Or famously known in Sarawak as Midin Belacan. This is one of so called native dish that manage to go into the mainstream list of Sarawak dishes. Go in any Chinese or Malay restaurant in Sarawak and you can order this specialty dish.

The ‘midin’ usually grows in the wild and can be found quite abundantly. I have the privilege of ‘harvesting’ this plant when I was a child. I guess the experience had contributed to it being one of my favorite native dishes.

The preparation is quite simple actually. Stir fry it with some herbs, aromatic shrimp paste and enjoy it with hot steaming rice. Again, some Westerners do find the ‘aroma’ of the shrimp paste or belacan quite overwhelming. But to me and, I believe, most Sarawakian, the aroma of belacan is second best to durian.

Prawn Umai
Prawn Umai
This is sushi. In a way.

Its raw small prawn ‘cooked’ in lime juice. And by cooked, I mean leaving it soaked in lime juice for an hour or two and then soaked again with shallot, onion, ginger and chilli. 

I usually add slices of lemon to it. And yes, eat it with rice. Another version is the Fish Umai but I do prefer the prawn version.

Aaaa…now I’m hungry.


Stir Fried Sago Worm

Stir Fried Sago Worm 
Okay, this one might make some people cringe. But contrary to the look, it is quite delicious. 

I used to enjoy it when I was a kid and accompany my Grandma (God bless her soul) and Mom to collect the Sago worm or Sokot. I honestly find the worm cute. It is round, squiggly and wriggle when you pinch it.

It was my fav food but now I actually can’t eat Sokot anymore because I developed an allergic reaction to it. But I do remember my Grandma eating it raw (and still alive) and recall how I ‘barbequed’ it over burning fire wood … and eat it.

When you stir fry it, the rich oil will become the gravy and you can eat it just like that.

My older brother again eats it with white bread so maybe you can be creative and try it with pasta.

Soup Ponas Bidayuh

Sup Ponas Bidayuh
I feel that Soup Ponas is equivalent to ‘Chicken Soup’. The one that you take when you are not feeling well. 

Slurping it when it is piping hot will make you sweat and honestly, it will make you feel a lot better. When I young, this was my cold medicine. I never like taking any kind of medicine and I guess this was my Mom’s way to make me healthy.

And it is a healthy food made of tapioca, lemongrass and other herbs. You can add durian to it or even chicken slices. 
Enjoy it while it is still steaming hot.

So these are my five favorite native dishes. There are others like ‘Ayam Pansoh’; chicken cooked in bamboo, fried lemongrass and exotic animals stir fried with traditional herbs. Have you ever tried bat cooked with ginger? Or barbequed squirrel? Or python stew? I have.

Amazing yummy food.

So if you want to try and cook these dishes check out Huntersfood.com. And let me know of your experience with local native Sarawakian dishes in the comment sections.

**Photos courtesy of Huntersfood.com.


1 comments :

  1. how about dowon bandung poh? my absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete