Pages


Jun 11, 2009

The incident with the escalator.

Years ago, when I was maybe three or five, my mom, me and maybe if I’m not mistaken my older brother, went to a shopping complex. I can’t remember which shopping complex was that. It was either the new Wisma Saberkas or Upwell. All I know it was new. It has elevators that goes up to higher floors and ‘the stairs that moves’.

I remembered being very excited and my mom held to my hands so I just wouldn’t just run off. But me being me, having that independent spirit since I was young, was having problem being still.


I remembered that we were going down the ‘moving stair’. Unknown to me, like many others during that time, my mom was terrified. You see, it was her first time going down the ‘moving stair’ and she have to make sure her two young kids will be safe.
But I jump on the first step. My mom hesitated.

So down I went happily, till I realized my mom was not with me. The only thing that came down was one of her shoe. I remembered looking up then, when I reached bottom, that my mom was still standing.

It takes a few minutes before she decided to take the first step, without one of her shoe. I remembered, that I felt the situation was funny. And maybe so did a few people at that time.

It took many years of recall and realization to understand what my mom went through. She was not only terrified, she was probably embarrassed and felt like a total fool. But down she went and I didn’t hear she complained much about it then.

Before somebody raise some disbelieve with this story, let me explain. This happened more than 20 years ago (I'm SO old!). When a shopping complex in Kuching with an escalator are rare. And for today standard, it wasn’t even considered a shopping complex. Buildings are mostly two storey high. And taller buildings are usually government based buildings.

There are three reasons why I’m writing this incident. Firstly, my mom, quite a conservative Bidayuh lady, after that learn her ways around Kuching. She overcame her fears of escalators and knew how to deal with all the development that pops rapidly around Kuching. She loves eating at KFC. She knew how to be thrifty and to not buy unnecessary things. She joined me in one of Kuching exclusive restaurant and even one time, I brought her to one of the new pub in the city. She stayed in Kuala Lumpur for nine months alone to take care of my sick older brother. She would tell me the times when she had to fend off drug addicts with her umbrella.

She even climbed Mt. Kinabalu with me on my first attempt and was faster. Though she didn’t reached the top coz I got sick at Laban Rata and she couldn’t leave me.

I love my mom. I love the fact even with the lack of knowledge, lack of support, lack of helping hands, she still managed to be that typical conservative Bidayuh lady who had gone through a few hardship and goes on with her life.

The second reason, is to note how far Kuching, like my mom, had grown. From that town in Sarawak into a city with a big mall, a scenic waterfront, a cultural village and so many other developments, I think, not many thought possible. We have universities; government based and privates. Apartments, condos and more higher class hotels. Bridges too. Though some we need to pay tolls to cross them.



Yes, there are still more things to improve. Not only developments in the forms of architecture but also social developments and reformations. There are things needs sharpening. There are things needs conservations. And there are things that are needed to balance all this. Though to some, maybe painfully slow, the positive changes are showing.

The third reason, is how far Bidayuh had grown too. Years ago it would be almost impossible to see highly educated Bidayuh, those who holds official positions, those who are professionals like teachers, engineers, accountants and even doctors. But now there are more and more Bidayuh in the professional work force. Even some goes into business. There are many who ‘fights’ for the Bidayuh rights, by their own way, from politic to non-government-organisation.

And more and more Bidayuh sees education as one of the main point to a better a life. More and more Bidayuh are beginning to see more reasons to be proud of being a Bidayuh. Yes, I'm aware I'm using the 'more' many times. I like that word.

There are still problems though. I’m not that naïve to say that we are without one (or many). But I think, just like my mom, we have to take that tentative first step even though we have only one shoe.

Anyway, Mom. Happy Mothers Day!

Recommended Posts
A nice Malaysian
My Grandmother & Her Death
My full Bidayuh costume

1 comments :

  1. I like your piece about your mother and the escalator very much. Thank you! What you said here is so true, and uplifting.

    ReplyDelete