Pages


May 26, 2008

Bidayuh school childrens from S.R.K Tembawang Sauh

Actually these photos were taken in 2006, if I'm not mistaken. Some kids just came out from school waiting for their ride back home or just hanging around with their friends.

It happen that I had my digital camera with me so I took some shots much to the delights of the kids. As you can see, they don't really listen to me when I asked them to pose properly but I think the photos turned out better as it shows the kids in their elements.

Just being kids.



What make these photos special was more than 20 years ago I was in the same school, possible at the same age with some of them. During that time the village was smaller and so was the school. There was no tarred road and the very spot they are playing used to be a dense jungle that was our playground last time.




Doesn't seem to be a proper place for a playground but tell THAT to some Bidayuh kids from two small villages who didn't have T.V to watch, or proper shoes to wear,everybody walked to school and to have three sets of uniform are such rarity; most of us had only one set. The jungle was our playground.





Yet those short years in S.R.K Tembawang Sauh and staying in the village were among the best time of my life. Though it seem pitiable to some that we didn't have proper toilet during that time or that I had to sell sweets and biscuits for money, I felt those years were the most joyous times where I can innocently freely feel without any cares in the world.

And taking these photos, I might have just recorded those moments when a child is just a child.

Recommended Posts

The story of our English name.
The incident with the escalator.
A nice Malaysian

4 comments :

  1. osi adon mu bih?
    muu so kupuo ki? Jugan keh, Towieh/Tibawang?
    Oku Peggy, so kupuo Jugan.
    email ku: tikidok@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling the world about our background. Pls do more by taking pictures of poverty, children waling to school barefooted, kids carrying a tambok full of firewood etc, compared to rich Malay children in Kenny Rogers outlets with expensive trendy handphones. Oku tuong Dayak Bidoyoh geh, Bijagoi to be accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy!
    Adon okuk Jacque pak jarang kuk parik kupuo tiep. Parik geh pak eh bori samak kuk sinok skolah. I'll e-mail you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TAR,

    Though I'm not blind towards Bidayuh problems in such places but, you know, I do suggest you watch the documentary 'The Secret'. Somewhere there it talks about not focusing on the bad parts as it encourage it more. I believe in more presenting Bidayuh as educated, unique, beautiful, simple but brave people. And I would focus on that cos I do have two Bidayuh nephews I adored and I want them to believe and be proud of who they are. :-)

    ReplyDelete